If you're reading this blog post, you must be wondering if a Sena 20S battery replacement possible. Yes, replacing the battery in your Sena 20S is indeed possible. And how do I know it is? Because it was either figure out how to replace the battery or a buy new Sena radio.
You see, Fred and I really enjoy riding motorcycles. He rides a Honda XR650L and I ride a Suzuki DR650. But what makes it even more enjoyable is that we can talk to each other via our Sena radios while we're riding. But recently, the charge on Fred's battery has not been lasting as long as mine. Hence my research on battery replacement.
Procedure for Sena 20S Battery Replacement
- Remove the Jog Dial by gently prying it off with a small slotted screwdriver.
- Extend the External Antenna so that 1 of the 5 Torx screws are exposed.
- Remove the five screws that holds the back cover on with a T8 Torx screwdriver. Be sure to place the five screws in an area that ensures you won't lose them.
- Separate the back cover from the front cover without disconnecting any plugs or disturbing the water resistant gasket.
- Remove the battery by pulling the plug with the wires that connect to the battery.
- Install the new replacement battery by reversing the removal procedure. Be mindful of ensuring the water resistant gasket is in place before replacing the screws. And be careful not to over tighten the screws because it's easy to strip out the holes since they're just plastic.
Charging the Sena 20S Battery
After you have replaced the battery in the Sena 20S and have put it all back together, power it up to ensure all is well. Once you're sure the new battery has been properly installed, power the unit down and plug in the charging cable.
Since it's been reported by several Sena 20S users that it's possible to ruin the battery by over charging it, I would suggest that you not leave it charging once the light turns blue.
Something else to think about is how many amps you're allowing the battery to be charged with. It's better to charge a battery low and slow rather than high and fast. Charging a battering low and slow, as well as not leaving it on the charger too long, helps prolong the life of the battery.
I personally like to use a 5W iPhone USB power adapter to charge my Sena; low and slow.
I don't know about you, but I'd rather replace my Sena 20S battery instead of buying a new radio; it's just good stewardship. It doesn't take that long and it's really simple to do.
If you have any tips or tricks on Sena 20S battery replacement, please leave them in the comments.